(this page is currently work-in-progress)
OdysseusNet is a extension for Odysseus which enables distributed data stream processing using a network of interconnected machines (e.g., LANs). It is a follow-up project of OdysseusP2P.
Installation and Starting
OdysseusNet is a feature which is installed like the other features (see How to install new features). However due to technical limitations, OdysseusNet is (currently) not applicable to the client-version of Odysseus. If you use the server-version, install the OdysseusNet Server Feature. For monolithic Odysseus, install the monolithic version of the OdysseusNet Feature. After restarting Odysseus, OdysseusNet is integrated and ready.
If you develop with Odysseus and checked out its sourcecode, you can start OdysseusNet by adding the plugin
de.uniol.inf.is.odysseus.net.monolithic.feature (if you're developing with the monolithic version of Odysseus) or the plugin
de.uniol.inf.is.odysseus.net.server.feature (server-version of Odysseus) to your product- or launch-definitions. These features contain all underlying OdysseusNet-Features currently available. A more detailed description which feature encapsulates which function can be found in Underlying Features of OdysseusNet.
Network structure of OdysseusNet
After starting Odysseus, OdysseusNet is – by default – deactivated. In this case, Odysseus behaves like normal. When OdysseusNet is activated (explained in the next section), the Odysseus-Instance becomes an OdysseusNode. Therefore, a OdysseusNode is a machine running Odysseus with OdysseusNet installed and activated. By default, two nodes are connecting to each-other if they are physically reachable (e.g., LAN), forming a network of interconnected Odysseus-Instances. With this default behaviour, a decentralized and unstructured network of nodes is being built. See the last section of this page if you want to modify this (e.g., establishing master-slave-relationships between nodes).
Only when OdysseusNet is activated, the functionality for distributed data stream processing is available. There are multiple possibilities to activate it. If the graphical user interface OdysseusStudio is available, the user can switch to the OdysseusNet Perspective. There in the NodeView, the user can click on the button in the toolbar in the top-right to activate OdysseusNet (marked with red circles in the picture below).
The user can execute the Console Command
startOdysseusNet to start OdysseusNet in the console (useful in the server-version of Odysseus).
To stop OdysseusNet, the user has to click the button in the toolbar of the NodeView again or execute the console command
Features of OdysseusNet
OdysseusNet as a feature is the sum of multiple smaller OdysseusNet features. Each of them encapsulates specific functions, possibilities and interfaces, all useful for "typical" Odysseus-Users and Odysseus-Developers. A (not complete) list of features is as follows:
For users of Odysseus, OdysseusNet provides the following features:
- Integration of OdysseusNet in OdysseusStudio
- Managing other OdysseusNodes remotely (see NodeView)
- Configuration of each OdysseusNode due to a separate configuration file (see Configuration)
- Controlling OdysseusNodes with the OSGi-Console (see Console Commands)
- View the connection quality with PingMaps
- Distributing data source definitions into the network
- Distributing queries into the network of OdysseusNodes
For developers, OdysseusNet provides additional in-depth features (e.g., interfaces) to make it possible to alter and/or extend OdysseusNet:
- Interfaces for accessing remote OdysseusNodes
- Interfaces for easy communication with remote OdysseusNodes
- Receiving logging messages of remote nodes
- Deeper control of configuration settings (without interfering with the configuration of Odysseus)
- Controlling the network structure. This contains interfaces for discovery of OdysseusNodes and selection-strategies for connections that need to be established.
- Easy methods to distribute static data across the network
- Interfaces to add strategies for query distribution
- Interfaces to access information of current resource usages (processor, memory, etc.) of remote OdysseusNodes