Go to Odysseus Website to the Download section. You can choose between a stable version, which is stable but may not be the latest version, or you choose a nightly build which consits the latest fixes and is built each day at midnight. Choose the Version for your operating system in a 64 or 32 bit version. In our case, we have a 64 bit Windows 7 10 so that we choose Windowx x86 64 bit. Download the archive.
A. Hints if installation/start fails
- Java 1.7 (or sometimes called Java 7) 8 has to be used. Although Java 1.7 8 was installed, it may happen that Java 1.6 is still a different version is used. Therefore, check if 1.7 Java 8 is used. Check also, if JAVA_HOME is set correctly.
- On windows, you can check the version by open the command line to tool (go on "start", and "run" and enter "cmd", then press OK. In the command line enter "java -version" and hit enter. You should see some lines beginning with "java version "1.78.XXXX". if command is not found or another version is shown, check your Java installation.
On MacOS X, you may look at "B. Mac OS X and Java 1.7" in the next section.
- Be sure you downloaded the x86_64 version if you have a 64 bit operating system or the x86 version if you have a 32 bit operating system.
B. Mac OS
Warning: Odysseus Studio currently does not run properly (or at all) on MacOS. Nevertheless, you can run the pure server product on MacOS.
To run Odysseus from the pre-compiled packages available to download you have to do the following steps.
- Download and install Java 8 from Oracle (/usr/libexec/java_home -t BundledApp shut output a Java 8 version). You could, for example, use homebrew: https://www.lonecpluspluscoder.com/2017/10/08/installing-other-versions-of-the-java-jdk-via-homebrew/
- Download Odysseus from our homepage
- Open the terminal (e.g. with spotlight)
- Direct to the odysseus-folder, navigate to ../Contents/Eclipse/
- Run the following command:
java -XstartOnFirstThread -Xmx500M -Xms500M -Declipse.p2.mirrors=false -jar plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.34.1000.v20150511v20161219-15401356.jar --launcher.library org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.34.1000.v20150511v20161219-15401356 -console -nl en -debug -data @noDefault -showsplash de.uniol.inf.is.odysseus.rcp.base -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts -clean
To run Odysseus you need a Java runtime environment in version 78.
sudo aptitude install default-jre
mkdir –p ~/bin wget –c http://odysseus.offisinformatik.uni-oldenburg.de/download/studioproducts/stablemonolithic/serverandstudio/lastBuild/de.uniol.inf.is.odysseus.serverandstudiostudio.gtkproduct.monolithic-linux.gtk.x86_64.zip -O ~/bin/odysseus.zip unzip odysseus.zip –d ~/bin
#!/bin/bash cd odysseus.server.gtk.linux.x86 while true; do java -Xmx500M -Xms500M -Declipse.p2.mirrors=false -jar plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.34.1000.v20150511v20161219-15401356.jar -console -debug -data @noDefault if [ "$?" != "23" ]; then break fi done