This is a short tutorial that shows how to install Odysseus and how to setup the first time. This tutorial is for persons who just want to use Odysseus for data stream management. For those, who want to develop with Odysseus (e.g. create new operators or extend functionalities), may have a look at Development with Odysseus, which introduces how to import Odysseus into Eclipse.
New: 1.10.15: Java 8 is now the required base!
First, Java 8 (also known as Java 1.8) must be installed, which you can download here: http://www.java.com.
2. Download Odysseus
Go to Odysseus Website to the Download section. You can choose between a stable version, which is stable but may not be the latest version, or you choose a nightly build which consits the latest fixes and is built each day at midnight. Choose the Version for your operating system in a 64 or 32 bit version. In our case, we have a 64 bit Windows 7 so that we choose Windowx x86 64 bit. Download the archive.
- Java 1.7 (or sometimes called Java 7) has to be used. Although Java 1.7 was installed, it may happen that Java 1.6 is still used. Therefore, check if 1.7 is used. Check also, if JAVA_HOME is set correctly.
- On windows, you can check the version by open the command line to tool (go on "start", and "run" and enter "cmd", then press OK. In the command line enter "java -version" and hit enter. You should see some lines beginning with "java version "1.7.XXXX". if command is not found or another version is shown, check your Java installation.
On MacOS X, you may look at "B. Mac OS X and Java 1.7" in the next section.
- Be sure you downloaded the x86_64 version if you have a 64 bit operating system or the x86 version if you have a 32 bit operating system.
B. Mac OS X
To run Odysseus from the pre-compiled packages available to download you have to do the following steps.
- Download and install Java 8 from Oracle (/usr/libexec/java_home -t BundledApp shut output a Java 8 version)
- Download Odysseus from our homepage
- Open the terminal (e.g. with spotlight)
- Direct to the odysseus-folder (go into it), navigate to ../Contents/Eclipse/
- Run the following command: